What is Incredible Edibles?
- Incredible Edibles is a healthy eating initiative for Primary School students. It encourages schools across the country to get busy growing fruit, vegetables and herbs. Incredible Edibles is an interactive project that allows students to get their hands dirty and learn by doing.
- Thank you to Agri Aware for providing our school with compost, biodegradable pots, potato grow bags, hanging strawberry baskets, and seeds to grow carrots, potatoes, strawberries, turnips, lettuce and chives.
- Fifth and sixth class kept a logbook in order to track the growing progress. In completing this project as a school we had five interesting tasks to complete. The 5 tasks included:
- Task 1: Food Origin – learning about where different food comes from.
- Task 2: Home or School Activity – visit a grocery store and take pictures of your students identifying Irish fruit and vegetables OR have students submit pictures of them identifying different types of Irish fruit and vegetables in their home and community (grocery store).
- Task 3: The Growing Element – plant your seeds in your school garden and take pictures of the process.
- Task 4: Home or School Activity – have students submit pictures of them preparing and cooking different types of dishes using fruits and vegetables.
- Task 5: School and Home Activity – participate in Incredible Edibles Healthy Eating Week!
Junior and Senior Infants had great fun working with Fifth Class to plant all our vegetables and herbs.